The Children of Veterans Tuition Waiver is a four-year consecutive in-state tuition waiver at the University of Illinois given to natural, step-, or legally adopted children of service members who are veterans.
How to Apply
Fill out and submit the application. The priority application deadline is January 2, and all applicants are notified by February 6. The application process for unawarded conflicts closes October 1.
- Up to three tuition waivers per county are awarded each year.
- Eligible conflicts include: World War II, the Korean Conflict, the Vietnam Conflict, the Siege of Beirut, the Grenada Conflict, the Southwest Asia Conflict, Operation Enduring Freedom, or Operation Iraqi Freedom.
- Priority consideration is given to applications received by January 2.
- You must be a permanent resident of the Illinois county from which you apply.
- The tuition waiver will not waive out-of-state tuition.
- The tuition waiver covers 4 consecutive years of in-state tuition for undergraduate, graduate, or professional studies at the University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign, Chicago, Health Sciences Center, or Springfield).
- Your parent’s service must meet the guidelines listed on the application.
- A new, complete application must be submitted each year for applicants who did not receive the award. Supporting documents (copies of ACT scores and military paperwork) from past applications aren’t reviewed.
- See the application for more information regarding award criteria and application procedure.